Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Menu ideas

Ever tried making a menu for the upcoming week? I've found that menu planning takes away the headache of trying to decide what to make for supper that night, when the last thing you want to think about is planning out a balanced meal. I've found we eat healthier and cheaper when I plan out my meals before the week begins. Here's some of my ideas for menu planning.

  1. Theme the week. For example:
    • Monday-Italian
    • Tuesday-Mexican
    • Wednesday-American/Mennonite
    • Thursday-Asian
    • Friday-Soup N Salad
    • Saturday-Pizza
    • Sunday-Snacks and leftovers
With this plan a menu could look like this:

Monday
  • Spaghetti
  • Caesar Salad
  • Garlic Bread
Tuesday
  • Salsa Chicken Rice Casserole
  • Sliced apples or a fruit salad
  • Chips and salsa
Wednesday
  • Hamburgers
  • Applesauce
  • Veggie tray
Thursday
  • Crockpot Sesame Chicken
  • Rice
  • Steamed broccoli
Friday
  • Sausage Bean Stew
  • Biscuits
  • Cheese slices
Saturday
  • Pizza
  • Applesauce
  • Chips
Sunday
  • Whatever's left over!
I've also found that as I make my menu, I can easily collect the recipes (print them off this blog!) and create my grocery list at the same time. This way I'm not running to Aldis 5 times a week (like I've been known to do sometimes!)

No comments: